Emotional support from 6:30PM – 9:30PM, everyday or email us.
for people who are lonely, in distress, in despair or having suicidal thoughts.
Close to 800 000 people die due to suicide every year, which is one person every 40 seconds.
As of 4th July 2021:
About Befrienders Kuching
To alleviate distress and help reduce the risk of suicide through emotional support and public education.
A world in which fewer people feel the need to end their own lives.
Befrienders Kuching was established on 10 January 2018 by a group of mental health practitioners and caregivers (psychiatrists, psychologists, medical officers, psychology graduates and enthusiasts). The main purpose of Befrienders Kuching is to cater to the emotional needs of the community in Kuching. Our telephone hotline began operations on 1 Aug 2018 from 6.30pm-9.30pm daily. Email befriending service was subsequently available from 1st January 2019.
- To provide emotional support to the distressed and the suicidal at all times.
- To impart emotional support skills to the community.
- To instil coping skills for better mental health.
- To create awareness of the causes of suicide and how it can be prevented.
- To increase our effectiveness by working in partnership with others.
- To become a suicide prevention resource center.
- The service that the Befrienders offer is called befriending. Befrienders aims to benefit society by helping people who contact us to develop better emotional self-awareness which in turns leads to improved emotional health and well-being.
- We offer this service in a number of ways:
You can contact Befrienders Kuching via our phone hotline at 082-242800 from 6.30pm-9.30pm daily
You can also contact us via our email at
Befrienders Kuching intends to reach out to the community, particularly to groups at high risk of suicide to provide on-site emotional support, talks, workshop sessions and seminars on listening skills, stress, suicide prevention, capacity building and mental health awareness.