Be A Volunteer!
Our volunteers come from all ages, races, religions and walks of life. They are people who are willing to spend some of their time each week supporting those who are in need.
If you can listen to people share their problems in a caring, supportive and non-judgmental manner, we’d like to meet you!
How to Apply
Befrienders will be holding preview sessions for everyone who is interested to join our organisation. You will get to know in detail about what we do and how we help the community during this session. Interested applicants are urged to attend this preview.
Who Can Apply?
- 18 years old and above
- Good listener
- Proficient in any languages
- Able to commit to 3 hours weekly duty for phone responders
- Committed and dedicated to help bring awareness on mental health to the general public
If you would like to be a volunteer, sign up online.
- Attend a preview session
- Interview session (All potential volunteers are required to participate in a short interview session to gauge commitment level and interests of potential volunteers)
- Training session (All volunteers are required to attend a volunteer training session to be equipped with information about being a volunteer at Befrienders)
- Probation (Volunteers are required to go through a probation period for a period of time as determined by the training team)
- Full Volunteer
For more information you can contact us via our Facebook and Instagram (@befrienderskch) and follow us for more updates and information.
The Befrienders Training Course is a creative learning process where you will learn listening skills, giving you the knowledge and confidence to support callers in crisis. You will gain experience of the types of calls that you may receive through practice, exercises and group discussions. You will learn how to respond to callers using Befrienders principles and practices.
In the process, you will gain greater self-awareness which may lead to the questioning of your own assumptions. This will help prepare you to listen in a more open and non-judgmental manner.